Accounting Coordinator (Temporary Full Time)
Canadian Museum for Human Rights
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) is the first museum in the world solely dedicated to the evolution, celebration and future of human rights. It is the first national museum in Canada to be built outside the National Capital Region. Located in the heart of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the CMHR rises from the Prairie earth at The Forks, which has been a meeting place for over six thousand years.
The CMHR delivers an immersive, interactive and memorable experience for visitors of every background, age and ability. Each visitor has access to a fully reinvented museum experience that reflects a design approach that sets new Canadian and world standards for inclusion and universal accessibility.
We are seeking talented individuals who are motivated to share their passion and commitment to join our team. Together, we aim to enhance the public’s understanding of human rights, to promote respect for others, and to encourage reflection and dialogue.
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to assist in the day-to-day accounting operations of the Museum, including ensuring that revenue is reconciled and recorded, Accounts Receivable are invoiced and collected, and ensuring prepaid expenses, capital assets, investments, and accruals are recorded correctly. This position also records full-cycle accounting entries and assists with regular internal and external reporting.
- Record and analyze revenue activity for discrepancies and other issues and ensure sales and transactions comply with organizational policies and procedures.
- Complete regular accounting, reconciliation and reporting including:
– Accounting journal entries including those related to sales (all revenue streams)
– Reconciliation of the clearing accounts (credit cards, gift cards);
– Reconciliation of revenue between the Financial Management System and:
o the Box Office point-of-sale system;
o the Boutique point-of-sale system;
o the online Boutique point-of-sale system;
o the Facility Rental Revenue system;
o Final customer invoices;
– Evaluate different sources of information and reconciles conflicting or ambiguous data;
– Prepare monthly GST and PST tax filings;
– Prepare quarterly government reporting;
- Perform accounting and reporting functions for prepaid expenses, investments, capital assets including amortization, accounts payable, and donation revenue.
- Determine if revenue or expense accruals are required and prepare the related journal entries and schedules.
- Ensure efficient, effective, timely and complete integration of financial accounting data between financial and internal operational systems.
- Prepare and send out invoices as required, collection of accounts receivable.
- Assist with financial system implementation testing and end-user training.
- Provide training/guidance to various CMHR staff on general financial procedures, including but not limited to purchase requisitions, expense report completion, invoicing, cheque requests.
- Other duties including, but not limited to:
– Assist external auditors with their audit of CMHR’s financial statements;
– Participate in inventory counts for the Boutique retail inventory;
– Administrative duties including filing, faxing documents.
- Accounting related post-secondary education and minimum 3-5 years’ experience in an accounting department, including full-cycle accounting and accounts receivable and/or payable functions, or working towards a Professional Accounting Designation (CPA or equivalent)
- Knowledge of accrual accounting
- Proficiency with MS Programs, specifically with Microsoft Excel (Intermediate Level)
- Experience working with an integrated accounting system
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail and analytical ability and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities and assignments in order to meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Retail Sales Tax (Manitoba) and GST
- The ability to communicate with proficiency in both official languages, oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and assist with continuous change and process improvements
- Ability to work both independently or collaboratively in a team-oriented environment
- Discretion, tact, and diplomacy
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Official Language Proficiency:
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- May require irregular hours (evenings, weekends)
- May require some physical effort (moving files, counting inventory)
Conditions of Employment
- Security Screening Level – Reliability Status
- Child Abuse Registry Check
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé through CMHR’s Careers page at https://humanrights.ca/about/careers by November 17, 2018. The cover letter must provide concrete examples that illustrate how they meet the education and experience factors listed in the Qualifications – Required and Desired (if applicable). Résumés will be used as a secondary source to validate the education and experience described in the cover letter.
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment processes and work environment. Please advise the HR representative if accommodation measures must be taken to enable you to apply and be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Intent / Result of process: An eligibility list of qualified candidates may be created as a result of this process. The list would have a retention schedule of six months.