General Studies Instructor
Classification: College Instructor
Full-Time Term Position: August 19, 2019 to June 26, 2020
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Indigenous learners and mature students.
The Position: University College of the North requires a college instructor(s) to teach General Studies in Pukatawagan, Mantiboba. The instructor will have 2 weeks prep prior to classes beginning on September 3, 2019 to June 19, 2020 and 1 week wrap up at the end of the program. The courses being taught are as follows: Life Skills, Development Communication, and Development Mathematics.
- A Bachelor of Education Degree with Manitoba teacher Certification
- Consideration will be given to individuals with undergraduate degree with previous experience teaching mature student learners
- Strong professional and academic background that indicates ability to teach Mathematics, English and Computers
- Ability to teach first nation learners and adjust to unique learning styles
- Knowledge of current theories, principles and practices of adult education
- Leadership in the development and motivation of students
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational and thinking and leadership skills
- Strong computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand cultural influences and issues specific to adult learners in northern communities and adapt to small remote community lifestyles
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures
- The ability to speak an Indigenous language
- Education Degree and some High School/Adult Education teaching experience
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Applicants must provide a cover letter, résumé and references with their application.
Applicants must demonstrate on their résumé how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 19-046
Closing Date: June 19, 2019; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $31.40 to $46.64 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
Human Resources will work with applicants who require accommodation during the application or the interview process.
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.