HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR
Full-Time Regular Position
The Pas or Thompson, Manitoba
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Indigenous learners and mature students.
The Position: The Human Resources Advisors are generalists who will come with relevant education and training, and demonstrated related experience and initiative. UCN has two campuses (The Pas and Thompson), twelve regional centres, the majority of which are located in Indigenous communities, and a variety of other teaching sites throughout northern Manitoba. The Human Resources Advisors will be involved in the comprehensive delivery of human resource services including ensuring a representative workforce through recruitment and selection, assisting with a variety of human resource and employee and labour relations issues including accessibility and accommodation, policy renewal and development, respectful workplace, harassment/discrimination complaints, human resource management systems, workplace safety and health, conflict resolution, related workshop development and facilitation.
- Formal education and/or certification in Human Resources/Labour Relations
- Human Resources and/or Labour Relations experience in a unionized environment
- Experience managing complaint processes, including respectful workplace and harassment/discrimination complaints
- Experience with Diversity in the workplace including knowledge of Accessibility and Accommodation
- Experience developing and facilitating training sessions/workshops
- Experience with HRIS/Time and Attendance systems
- Demonstrated strong teamwork as well as the ability to work independently
- Positive and culturally relevant communication skills (both oral and written)
- Exceptional judgment and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with Indigenous people and organizations
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and to follow through on projects/work assignments
- Demonstrated ability to use information technology effectively
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures
- Related Bachelor’s Degree
- CPHR Designation
- The ability to speak an Indigenous language
- Related experience in a post-secondary environment
Conditions of Employment:
- Some travel will be required
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 20-016
Closing Date: February 14, 2020; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: email@example.com (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
Human Resources will work with applicants who require accommodation during the application or the interview process.
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.