Full-Time Regular Position
Swan River, Manitoba
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: UCN is seeking an individual for a challenging and diverse position as an instructor within the Faculty of Health for the Joint Bachelor Nursing, Diploma in Practical Nursing and Health Care Aide (HCA) program, who is committed to excellence in teaching and promotes an interdisciplinary approach to care. The position involves teaching theory courses, skills in a laboratory setting and facilitation of learning experiences in both the facility and community clinical settings. In addition to teaching duties, the instructor will be responsible for classroom management, student supervision and advising, maintenance of student records and grades and curriculum review/development. Instructors also assist with assigned activities including University College promotion, student recruitment, and various program administrative functions.
- Registered Nurse
- An active CRNM membership with no restrictions
- A minimum of five years of work experience in nursing is essential
- Effective communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- A varied past experience including medical-surgical, Community Health, Gerontology, and/or Palliative Care, Mental Health and northern nursing
- Demonstrated ability to understand cultural influences and issues specific to Aboriginal learners and mature students in northern communities
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal culture
- The ability to speak an Aboriginal language
- Undergraduate or Graduate Nursing degree preferred
- Previous instructional experience
- Familiarity with curriculum development and delivery
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Candidates must complete a Criminal Records Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry
- Must have current CPR certification
- Must be willing to travel (may need to relocate to another community for 1 month blocks of time in Year 2 for clinical courses)
Applicants are asked to provide a cover letter, resume, references and copies of transcripts with their application.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 17-015
Closing Date: April 30, 2017; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $31.40 to $46.64 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: email@example.com (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.