2017 CRAFTED: Show + Sale Expands with Artists from Labrador and Northwest Territories
Winnipeg, Manitoba, October 19, 2017: The Winnipeg Art Gallery, Manitoba Craft Council, and Nunavut Arts and Crafts Association, along with this year’s new partner, Craft Council of Newfoundland and Labrador, are thrilled to present the third annual juried CRAFTED Show + Sale at the WAG. Running November 3 and 4, this one-of-a-kind event highlights Manitoba and Northern artists, features DIY workshops, craft demonstrations, and a fantastic display of donated knitted items that will be given to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Winnipeg.
Shop unique creations by close to 60 artists, and experience the pleasure of making something with your own hands in six exciting workshops: Beadwoven Earings, Stencil Print Tote Bags, Elk Hide Hand Drums, Indigo Wall Hangings, Introduction to Crochet: Throw Blankets, and Block Print Linen Scarves. All led by artist instructors, workshops are $50 (plus kit fee, if applicable) and pre-registration is required at crafted.wag.ca.
In the philanthropic spirit of CRAFTED, this year handmade toques, mitts, and socks will go to support the Boys & Girls Clubs of Winnipeg. Donations will be accepted until November 3 at designated locations. Past years saw the handmade become the hand given with scarves for Chase the Chill and quilts and pillowcases for children and teens at CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba.
To learn more about this extraordinary event and to see the full list of artists, check out crafted.wag.ca.
• CRAFTED 2017 takes place Friday, November 3 (11-9pm); Saturday, November 4, (11am-5pm) at the WAG.
• 45 Manitoban artists and 14 artists and collectives from Nunavut, Nunatsiavut, the Northwest Territories, Newfoundland and Labrador are participating in this one-of-a-kind event.
• Sign up for one of six artist-led DIY workshops and make a handmade item to take home.
• Donate mitts, hats, and socks to Boys & Girls Clubs of Winnipeg until on November 3.
• CRAFTED 2017 admission is $5 per day, free for kids under 12. Tickets are available at the door.
• Entry includes admission to WAG galleries.
• The WAG is Canada’s oldest civic art gallery and holds the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit art in the world.
CRAFTED: Show + Sale continues to grow bigger and better each year. We could not be more excited to welcome new artists and collectives from the North alongside Manitoba artisans, showcasing their incredible work.
-Sherri Van Went, WAG Manager of Retail Operations
Once again, CRAFTED: Show + Sale brings the community together with the handmade becoming the hand given as generous knitters donated hats, mitts and socks to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Winnipeg.
-Juanita Giesbrecht, CRAFTED 2017 chair
Sponsors and Committee:
The WAG is grateful to Title Donor Mary Lou Albrechtsen, Ayoko Designs, and Media Sponsor, the Winnipeg Free Press.
CRAFTED 2017 Volunteer Committee: Juanita Giesbrecht (Chair), Yoko Chapman, Aynsley Cockshott, Barbara Filuk, Justin Ford (NACA), Bettyanne Hershfield, Rowena House (CCNL), Siri McCaulder, Tammy Sutherland (MCC), and Celeana Tennant.
For more information or to prearrange interviews, please contact:
Manager, Media & Marketing
Winnipeg Art Gallery
Public Relations Coordinator
Winnipeg Art Gallery