- Ontario NationTalk
- Atlantic NationTalk
- North of 60 NationTalk
- Saskatchewan NationTalk
- Alberta NationTalk
- British Columbia NationTalk
- Manitoba NationTalk
- Quebec NationTalk
- Sand Box Site
Canada and Manitoba support new community hub for students and residents of Niverville and surrounding area
April 12, 2019
NIVERVILLE—Investing in social infrastructure where people can come together, share ideas and access vital resources helps build dynamic inclusive communities where everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
Today, the Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, the Honourable Kelvin Goertzen, Minister of Education and Training, and His Worship Myron Dyck, Mayor of Niverville, announced funding for the new Niverville Community Resource Centre.
The project involves building a 9,200-square-metre multi-use facility that will provide recreational and cultural programming and services for the community and surrounding areas. The new multiplex will feature a performing arts centre, not-for-profit community childcare centre, field house, leisure activity spaces, an indoor play area, arena, meeting rooms and community common areas.
The Community Resource Centre will be built on Arena Road next to the new Niverville High School and existing arena to create a ‘community campus’ where students and residents can access multiple amenities and social programs in one vibrant community-driven complex.
The Government of Canada is contributing up to $7.8 million to this project through the Investing in Canada Plan. The government of Manitoba is providing up to $3.5 million and the Town of Niverville is contributing up to $8.2 million.
“The Niverville Community Resource Centre will introduce an exciting new space for the community where residents of all ages can access cultural and recreational programming and essential community resources. Our Government is proud to be investing in infrastructure projects across the province that are improving the lives of Manitobans, promoting economic growth and strengthening the middle class.” – The Honourable Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
“This project represents Manitoba’s first community campus model and will leverage use of shared spaces to integrate culture, recreation, and community. The Province of Manitoba continues to invest in projects that support local community needs, enhance economic growth and bring rural communities together.” – The Honourable Kelvin Goertzen, Minister of Education and Training
“The Town of Niverville is excited for the announcement of this new facility as it will provide a place for all residents to come together within our community. Serving as a multi-purpose space, the Centre will have something for everyone. Moreover it will support future growth for Niverville and the surrounding region, which will in turn create a more vibrant and healthy community.” – Myron Dyck, Mayor of Niverville
• Budget 2019, Investing in the Middle Class, is the federal government’s plan to create more well-paying jobs, put home ownership within reach for more Canadians, help working people get the training they need to succeed, support seniors and lay the foundation for national pharmacare.
• With many municipalities across Canada facing serious infrastructure deficits, Budget 2019 includes a one-time top-up of $2.2 billion to the federal Gas Tax Fund to help address short-term priorities in municipalities and First Nations communities.
• Budget 2019 builds on the Investing in Canada Plan, under which the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in community infrastructure across the country.
• $25.3 billion of this funding is supporting social infrastructure in Canadian communities.
• Investing in Canada Plan Project Map: www.infrastructure.gc.ca/map
• Federal infrastructure investments in Manitoba: www.infrastructure.gc.ca/investments-2002-investissements/mb-eng.html
• Investing in Canada: Canada’s Long-Term Infrastructure Plan: www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/icp-publication-pic-eng.html
• Niverville Community Resource Centre website: http://nivervillemultiplex.ca/about-the-plex/
– 30 –
The Province of Manitoba is distributing this news release on behalf of the governments of Canada and Manitoba and the Town of Niverville.
For more information:
- Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.
- Media requests for general information, contact Communications Services Manitoba: 204-945-3765.
- Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-945-4916.
This article comes from NationTalk:
The permalink for this story is:
Comments are closed.