ADULT LEARNING CENTRE INSTRUCTOR
Full-Time Regular Position
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Indigenous learners and mature students.
The Position: Teachers in the Mature High School Program and General Studies Adult Education Program at the UCN Adult Learning Centre are responsible for delivering Manitoba certified secondary curriculum to adult learners in a holistic adult friendly and Indigenous-based learning environment. Particular emphasis is placed on supporting students in addressing barriers for success and supporting through community development activities. This position will primarily involve teaching adult basic education literacy level upgrading and high school English but may include other course as required.
- Bachelor of Education Degree
- Valid Manitoba Teaching Certificate
- Experience teaching high school English
- Knowledge of Indigenous cultural approaches to learning
- Familiarity with education delivery and achieving success with at-risk students
- Experience working as a team member in an adult learning environment
- Good computer skills
- Effective communication skills
- Strong organizational and self-management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the cultural influences and specific needs of adult learners in northern Manitoba
- Certificate in Adult Education
- A minimum of two years teaching experience, ideally at the high school or adult education level
- Direct experience with non-traditional, vulnerable students or communities
- The ability to speak an Indigenous language
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Candidates may be required to teach both day and evening classes
- Candidates must provide an acceptable Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check
- Must complete a Certificate in Adult Education (CAE) within 5 years
Applicants must provide a cover letter, résumé, references and copies of their transcripts with their application. Applicants must demonstrate on their résumé how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority
Competition Number: 19-024
Closing Date: May 27, 2019; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $31.40 to $46.64 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7 Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: [email protected] (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
Human Resources will work with applicants who require accommodation during the application or the interview process.
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.