Assistant Or Associate Professor
(or University Instructor)
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
Full-Time Position: August 15, 2017
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Aboriginal learners and mature students.
The Position: The Faculty of Education at University College of the North (UCN) invites applications for a permanent appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor or University Instructor. The successful candidate would be expected to provide service to UCN and the wider community and have a commitment to scholarship.
- Doctorate in Education (Aboriginal special education/diverse learning strategies) to be considered for the Assistant or Associate professor; applicants with Master’s degrees in Education and significant relevant experience may be considered for an Instructor classification
- A permanent Manitoba teaching certificate (or equivalent from another jurisdiction) with a minimum five years teaching experience in First Nations or public schools (K-12)
- Demonstrated creative and culturally-relevant instructional practices with Aboriginal learners
- Experience in program/curriculum development at the middle years’ level in one or more of the following: Reading Instruction, Literacy Development, Educational Technologies and/or land or placed based learning
- Experience supervising pre-service practicum for student teachers
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective management skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience in using distance and current learning technologies and current computer applications
- Demonstrated ability to understand cultural influences and issues specific to Aboriginal learners and mature students in northern communities
- Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal culture
- The ability to speak an Aboriginal language indigenous to northern Manitoba
- Experience teaching in a post-secondary education program
- Experience teaching in a teacher education program
- Administration in the public school system with new and emerging teachers
- Demonstrated record of research
- Administrative or resource experience in the public school system, supervising teachers
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Willingness to travel
Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, sample publications and should arrange for three references with full contact information including email to submit letters on their behalf.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 17-005
Closing Date: March 31, 2017
Salary Range: Commensurate with rank, qualifications and experience as per the collective agreement
Faculty Salary Scales can be viewed at www.ucn.ca
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba).
For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.