The First Nations Financial Management Board (FMB) is a national First Nation institution created by the First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA). The FMB supports First Nations in pursuing social and economic well-being by developing strong governance and financial management systems.
Reporting to the FMS Support Services Senior Manager, the Human Resource Specialist supports selected First Nation clients across Canada through remote and in-person Human Resource support.
- Develops relationships with assigned clients that have an approved Financial Administration Law (FAL) to promote, build trust and secure buy-in to implement their FAL and ultimately prepare for FMS certification;
- In collaboration with the First Nation client, conducts the FMS Support Services needs assessment and identify opportunities for remote accounting and training opportunities;
- Supports First Nation FAL clients to achieve FMS certification. “Support” in this context means facilitating, empowering, motivating, educating.
Human Resource Support Services
- In collaboration with the FMS Support Services Senior Manager, develops a Human Resources procedures manual and readiness assessment that focuses on client service delivery;
- In collaboration with the First Nation client and the FMS Support Services Senior Manager, develops a Human Resource support service schedule based on the priorities identified in the FMS Support Services readiness assessment;
- Ensures Human Resource Support Services provided to clients are within the terms and provisions of the client’s Financial Administration law;
- Assists First Nation clients with remote (or in-person) Human Resources support as identified in the FMS Support Services readiness assessment.
- Assists First Nation clients with the development and maintenance of a performance management system;
- Assists First Nation clients to ensure timely and effective performance management processes;
- Provides First Nation clients support with developing, implementing, and maintaining employee succession planning and employee development initiatives.
- Develops a database of job descriptions consistent of employment positions common within First Nation administrations;
- Assists First Nation clients with developing job descriptions for new positions while updating existing job descriptions as requested by the client;
- Assists First Nation clients with the process associated with implementing updated job descriptions.
- Works with First Nation clients to develop and implement a process related to the creation and collection of Human Resource Management records;
- Works with First Nation clients to develop and implement a process related to the organization and classification of Human Resource Management records;
- Works with First Nation clients to develop and implement a process related to maintaining, protecting, and preserving Human Resource Management records;
- Works with First Nation clients to develop and implement a process related to Human Resource record retention and disposition.
General Human Resource Management Support Services
- Supports First Nation clients with developing a Human Resource Strategy if identified in the client’s Human Resources Support Services readiness assessment.
- Supports First Nation clients with the development and implementation of the following standardized Human Resource management templates:
- Leave request forms (Sick, Vacation, Special leaves)
- Yearly Workplan template
- Mid-year performance management template
- Yearly performance management template
- Any other templates as required
- Assists with the change management process associated with transitioning to a Human Resource Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP).
Training and Capacity Development
- In collaboration with the FMS Support Services Senior Manager, develops a training plan based on the information provided in the initial needs assessment;
- Delivers training and capacity development including but not limited to:
- General Human Resource Management Support training;
- Information Management and Recordkeeping training;
- Job Design training;
- Performance management training and support.
The Human Resource Specialist completes other tasks as requested by the FMS Support Services management team.
- Post-secondary (undergraduate) degree in Business Administration or other HR-related education preferred;
- CPHR professional designation preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a Human Resource capacity; managerial experience an asset;
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience with HR Information Systems;
- Experience developing strategic HR plans;
- Ability to communicate in a manner that encourages an open, positive exchange of information;
- Strong listening skills;
- Demonstrated ability to develop collaborative and effective relationships at all levels of the organization and influence decisions;
- Ability to employ tact and diplomacy when dealing with clients and in confidential matters;
- Confidence in taking ownership and accepting responsibility for actions and decisions;
- Comfortable in managing upward relationships in a tactful and direct manner;
- Ability to proactively identify and analyze issues in the workplace and design and implement solutions;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities effectively;
- Exceptional relationship-building skills;
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail;
- Excellent judgment is required to provide sound direction and advice on a variety of human resource issues;
- Knowledge of employment/labour laws and general human resource policies and procedures;
- Effective working skills in Microsoft Suite and Adobe Products;
- Experience working with Indigenous Governments, organizations and communities considered a vital asset;
- Excellent communicator with a strong command of written and spoken English; French language skills are considered an asset.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- This position could be based in West Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Montreal;
- Permanent remote working may be considered;
- Requires national travel.
What We Offer
- Salary and annual bonus eligibility;
- Flexible 37.5-hour work week
- Employer paid extended benefits;
- Matching group RPP contributions;
- Annual vacation allowance and generous paid stat & non-stat days;
- Work-life balance;
- Remote or hybrid work arrangements
- Professional development & career growth opportunities.