Applications due March 13, 2023 at noon EST
As a progressive agency, Emdash understands structural inequity and is continually working to create structures where diversity, equity, and inclusion are integrated throughout our internal processes and relationships with clients. Candidates who identify as being from marginalized communities, including Indigenous peoples, people of colour, women, people with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ folks are particularly encouraged to apply.
We encourage interested candidates with 60% of qualifications to apply, especially those who are BIPOC, LGBT, women and/or other gender minorities.
The job description is below, but we are specifically interested in those who bring the following skills to complement our team:
- Working with Indigenous organizations, especially those with lived experiences
- Understanding of the nexus between social movement organizing and digital communications
- Great attention-to-detail, with strong research and writing skills
- Experience with campaign planning and coordination
- Track record of supporting and collaborating with progressive campaigns
How to apply:
- Send us a letter about yourself and your approach to communications, and a resume. Video or audio recordings are also welcome — send us an unlisted YouTube link (or similar).
- Please share writing samples (links or documents) of social media content, blog posts, or anything else that gives us an idea of your writing style.
- Send an email to [email protected] with your application.
Job description: Strategist
This is a remote position, based in Canada.
The Strategist is a critical part of the project team at Emdash, working on all aspects of projects and campaigns. The Strategist develops content, drafts strategy documents, liaises with and provides communications support to clients, and contributes to the strategic growth of Emdash.
Objectives of This Role
- Project Coordination: creating high-quality, creative content on a diverse range of issues
- Client Relationship-Building: building strong relationships with clients and supporting Emdash’s reputation
- Strategic Support: supporting creative and strategic development within Emdash projects, while staying updated on trends and current events
- Organizational Growth: contributing to the development of Emdash as an inclusive, creative, and successful organization
Responsibilities and Duties
You will perform the following tasks:
- Research and write a variety of types of products: communications and campaign strategies, press releases, advisories, social media updates, reports
- Support clients with their media relations, social media, and other communications work
- Participate in strategic planning for projects and campaigns
- Identify and generate activity in relevant communication channels and nurture relationships with key inﬂuencers and stakeholders
- Drive digital campaigns from start to ﬁnish in collaboration with the project team
- Characterize, quantify, and present metrics, tracking and reports for PR, online marketing and social media campaigns; develop social media ad campaigns
- Collect information, coordinate, and distribute news through a variety of platforms; support Emdash’s brand through social media, email newsletter, and website content
- Post and maintain web content using Content Management Systems (e.g. WordPress)
- Stay on top of all things communications-related, including best practices, guidelines and trends
- Support the BCorp values of the company through pro bono client work and utilize environmentally-sound, equity-focused internal policies for selecting vendors, booking work travel, and conducting other aspects of work
- Play an active role in supporting the team’s business development and sales goals
- Manage multiple competing project priorities by utilizing Emdash tools, including Asana
- Work on developing and improving new and existing skill-sets
- Attend and participate in regular project and all-staff meetings
What we offer:
- Starting at $45,000-$60,000, commensurate to experience. Salary is negotiable within this range.
- We offer a generous health care and time off package.
- 15 vacation and personal days annually, plus our office is closed between December 25 and January 1
- Parental leave top-up
- Health and dental plan through Manulife
- $500 annual fitness bonus
- $500 extended health top-up
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
- Interest-free loan program to buy a bicycle
- Paid pro bono time to devote to volunteer causes
- Flexible paid time off policy (for example, you can substitute a public holiday for another one of personal significance)
- Professional development plan with goal setting
- Potential business development bonuses
Emdash promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from people of all genders, races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities and sexual orientations. We strive to reduce unconscious bias throughout our hiring process.
|Monday, March 13 at 12 p.m. EST
|Week of March 13
- Long-listed candidates contacted to complete brief written assignment
- Assignment will take one hour to complete
- Candidates will be able to begin the assignment at a time of their choosing, in a window of several days provided to all candidates
- Assignments will be blind-marked by Emdash team members, with no names or identifiers included
|Week of March 20
||Short-listed candidates contracted to take part in individual interviews:
- 30-minute interview with two senior team members
- 30-minute discussion/presentation of the candidate’s assignment with the whole Emdash team
- This process will take part over Zoom
- Interviewed candidates will be compensated for their time via e-transfer following the conclusion of the process.
|Week of March 27
||Offer made to preferred candidate
|Two weeks following candidate’s acceptance of offer (April 20 or earlier preferred)
||New Strategist begins at Emdash
|Week of May 1
||Attendance at team retreat in Ottawa (travel and accommodations covered)
The above timeline may be subject to change based on scheduling and discussions with candidates.
We apologize but Emdash will only be able to respond to those who will be interviewed or further assessed for the position.
Emdash provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation.