Canada and Manitoba Announce Support for Research and Innovation Projects to Support Sustainable Growth of Agriculture Sector
May 29, 2023
Up to $65 Million in Grant Funding to be Provided Over the Next Five Years: Bibeau, Johnson
The governments of Canada and Manitoba are providing up to $65 million in grant funding under the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Sustainable CAP) to support the development of agricultural knowledge and skills and improve the competitiveness and sustainability of Manitoba’s agriculture and agri-food sectors, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, and Manitoba Agriculture Minister Derek Johnson announced today.
Manitoba Agriculture’s Research and Innovation program provides project funding opportunities for basic and applied research and/or capacity building that accelerate sustainable growth in the agriculture and agri-food sectors. Funding will be cost-shared between the applicant and government depending on the funding stream and project cost.
Funding is available to a wide range of stakeholders including primary producers, agri-processors, industry organizations, academic institutions and research bodies, industry service providers, and Indigenous governments, communities and groups.
A call for letters of intent under the Research and Innovation program is now open for innovative industry-led research and development and/or capacity building project ideas for funding commencing in spring 2024.
Projects must improve sustainability, resiliency and competitiveness of agriculture and agri-food sectors by accelerating the development and adoption of technologies and products that enhance efficiency and sustainability across the sectors while addressing challenges such as climate change.
“Through the Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership, we are investing in agricultural research that leads to new and improved ways for producers and processors to sustainably feed Canadians and the world. Innovation is a driver of growth and sustainability in the agricultural sector and is key to ensuring that producers and processors remain competitive and successful.” — The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Research and innovation drives the sustainable growth of the agriculture sector, and primary producers, agri-processors and others working in the industry know best how to lead this work. Our government is pleased to support their efforts by ensuring funding is available for the start of the 2024 growing season so that Manitoba remains competitive in Canada’s agriculture sector.” — Manitoba Agriculture Minister Derek Johnson
- Under the previous Canadian Agricultural Partnership framework, the Canada and Manitoba governments invested $33 million through the Research and Innovation program to support research aiming to increase productivity, efficiency and sustainability of the agriculture and agri-food sectors.
- The Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership is a five-year, $3.5-billion investment by Canada’s federal, provincial and territorial governments that supports Canada’s agri-food and agri-products sectors. This includes $1 billion in federal programs and activities and a $2.5-billion commitment that is cost-shared 60 per cent federally and 40 per cent provincially/territorially for programs that are designed and delivered by provinces and territories.
– 30 –
For more information:
- Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.
- Media requests for general information, contact Communications and Engagement: email@example.com.
- Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-451-7109.