Harper Government Supports Training for Heavy Equipment Operators in Manitoba
December 12, 2014 – Brandon, Manitoba – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, Larry Maguire, Member of Parliament for Brandon – Souris, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced $142,670 for Assiniboine Community College through the Western Diversification Program to provide mobile heavy equipment operator training.
The new mobile simulation lab will help meet the growing demand in the energy and construction sectors. The training provided to students will give them an opportunity to learn on sophisticated machinery and leave them well-equipped to meet the demands of industry.
Assiniboine Community College prioritizes developing partnerships with industry, First Nations, and rural and remote communities, with a focus on enhancing their capacity, and supporting employer innovation and productivity through customized training.
- Assiniboine Community College has been in operation for 50 years and has more than 2,700 students.
- There are 18 Metis Locals and 12 First Nations throughout southwestern Manitoba. The establishment of a mobile Heavy Equipment Operator training simulation lab will increase Aboriginal student enrolment at the College, which will help alleviate anticipated skills shortages in the construction and energy sectors.
“Our Government’s investment will allow Assiniboine Community College to directly deliver skills training for our region and in particular for our rural communities. Use of the simulator lab will allow for hands-on and cost-effective field training, which will ensure that students are prepared to enter the workforce and meet the needs of our growing economy.”
– Larry Maguire, Member of Parliament for Brandon – Souris
“This equipment will allow us to train people for jobs in strong and growing sectors, while building their understanding and comfort with the expectations of industry.”
– Mark Frison, President, Assiniboine Community College
“Cando Rail Services is pleased to be a contributor to heavy equipment simulator training. These training units will provide a safe learning environment for students while increasing their knowledge in the types of careers the heavy equipment industry can provide.”
– Jim Brannan, Vice President Contract Services, Cando Rail Services
Director, Policy, Planning and External Relations
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Manager, Public Affairs
Assiniboine Community College
Telephone: 204-725-8700 Ext. 6041